France has been a destination that has attracted many different expats for some time now. The reason for this is that France has very diverse offerings in terms of climates and city size. From large cities such as Paris, to quaint smaller cities such as Aix-en-Provence, read more
Iceland has become a country of recent interest to prospective expats. The country is largely uninhabited and has a very small local population. That being said, there is a rich and wonderful life to be had in Iceland for those who are into the great outdoors and a smal read more
One major major issues in China is that blockage of the internet. There are a lot of services which are just unavailable there. You won't be able to log into Facebook or Whatsapp or use Google for searches (and Baidu, the leading Chinese search engine, can't be used by non-locals - it is non-understandable). That pose a serious problem. Not only you travel to the other side o the world to work, you would also not be able to watch TV from back home, or speak to your loved ones through the VOIP services. read more
Singapore has a very rich history that has led to become one of the world’s financial centers quite rapidly. The reason for this is the establishment of trade when Sir Stamford Raffles brought a trading center of the East India Trading Company there. Due to this decisio read more
... Starting the immigration process to move to Canada, I was able to do it all online. While reading through the information I saw that one of the things that Canadians look for is how an immigrant would earn a living in their country. I was lucky and was able to say I had just completed my degree, which gave me better options for getting a job there. read more
If you're moving in the U.S from the UK, Australia, Italy, France or almost anywhere else in the world you have probably never heard about a home warranty. There are more than 1m foreigner who get legal permanent residency in the U.S in addition to probably hundreds of thousands more who slip through the tangling cracks of immigration (there are more than 10m illegal immigrants in the USA - read a fascinating NY Times piece on it here).
I can only imagine the vast majority of these immigrants, legal or not, have never heard of a home warranty service. In fact, I guesstimate most Americans, those who were born on U.S soil, and those who weren't, never heard the term "home warranty" or contemplated whether to use it or not. read more
What Will Happen to Immigration in France if Marine le Pen Will Be Elected This Year? In the past, France has been a country that was quite receptive to immigration. That being said, in recent years, there has been a great deal of immigration to France from North Africa read more
When contemplating whether the United States or Europe is a better fit, it is important to assess the various cultural differences that exist between the two. The American way of life is substantially different than the European one. Each lifestyle surely has its corresponding benefits and detriments. Consider the following differences between the United States and Europe before deciding to reside in either culture:
Differences Between the United States and Europe
- Workweek: One of the primary differences between the United States and Europe is surely the workweek. The workweek is something that showcases a fundamental difference between the cultures, which is related to the importance placed on the workplace versus leisure. In Europe, there is substantial time offered for families to spend time together in the way of maternity leave, extended vacation, and much more. For this reason, the workday is shorter and the vacation is longer. This is particularly true for countries such as France.
- Hour of Dining: In certain countries in Europe, the hour of dinner is much later. For example, in Spain, it is customary to go to dinner at ten in the evening. This is something that is a respected tradition and leads to visiting a bar far later in the evening. In contrast, the United States tends to close down much earlier given that dinner can be between seven and nine o’clock in the evening. This difference in culture affects how late individuals stay out and how late bars and restaurants close. Due to this difference, the United States tends to have a reputation of being stricter than countries in Europe, which is why many Americans dream of spending extended periods of time in Europe.
- Portion Control: One major disadvantage that the United States has compared to Europe is the size of their portions. There is a very high obesity rate in the United States, which is caused by the excessive portions that are served. Many times, there is more than double the amount of food necessary to consume in the United States. This is where Europe has an advantage in that they have less processed food and have healthy portions available to their populations.
- Multi-Cultural Society: Europe and the United States both have multi-cultural societies; however, the Europeans tend to try to keep their distinct cultures preserved. Given that the United States was created on a mixture of cultures, it is easier for groups to mix in the United States than in Europe. That being said, within Europe, there is more of an interest in diverse arts and performances than in the United States. Even though the United States is surely catching up on this, it has a long way to go in order to remain competitive with the Europeans.
- Educational System: The educational system that exists in Europe surely has an advantage over the United States for the university level study. Within Europe, there is more of a possibility of obtaining a post-secondary education without investing thousands of dollars. This is a major asset that Europe has over the United States because their students are not graduating with thousands of dollars of debt, rather they are entering into the workforce and able to invest in properly at a younger age than Americans.
- Linguistic Talents: One factor that is fascinating about growing up in Europe is the incentive to speak many different languages. This is surely due to geographic proximity. In the United States, it can be frowned upon at times to not speak English. This is an advantage Europe possesses because in Europe, there is a drive to speak many languages and the Americans are struggling to keep up with this trend as the world continues to globalize.
- Employment Opportunities: Regarding employment opportunities, both the United States and Europe are about on par with the exception of certain European countries that are recovering from the aftermath of 2008. What is important to understand is that there are employment opportunities available for those that have adequate credentials and connections. Each market has come a long way since the economic crisis and jobs are starting to become available once more, which is delightful to see.
- Space of Real Estate: Another fundamental difference between the United States and Europe is the amount of space for homes and shops. The United States is surely the land of the suburban sprawl; however, Europe is far more compact given the great difference in size between the two. If you are looking for a more compact lifestyle, Europe is a more ideal fit than the United States.
Final Remarks on the Subject
There is a great difference between the American mentality and the European one. The reason for this is that the two societies essentially practice two entirely different ways of life. The attitude that can be found in Europe is far more family oriented and tranquil, whereas the United States has a different approach of working many hours and having less vacation. Each lifestyle has its benefits and detriments; however, it is up to the individual expat to decide which pace of life is best for their families.
The best resources for people who are relocating abroad and living abroad. read more
One of the most important aspects of living abroad as an expatriate is determining what your cost of living will be. The reason for this is that the cost of living that you will experience is going to determine a great deal regarding your job prospects and which job you read more