Greenland is a destination that is highly underrated and unknown to many potential travellers. Additionally, it is seldom realized that Greenland has historic ties to Denmark and the rest of Scandinavia. For travellers visiting Greenland, they will find that Greenland operates on the Danish Krone. For this reason, it will be necessary for British citizens to exchange GBP to DKK. Typically, it is best to exchange currency from pounds to Danish krone before travelling to Greenland at a travel money company. By using a travel money company, it will be possible to get the best possible exchange rate before going on holiday to Greenland. Consider the following tips before planning your upcoming holiday to Greenland:
Typical Visitor Demographic Visiting Greenland
Greenland has a surprising demographic that frequents its territory for tourism. Demark leads the visitor list, which is to be expected; however, Germany, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States are amongst the top visitors of Greenland. These statistics are expected to grow in the coming years due to the peaked interest in visiting natural wonders.
Top Five Places to Visit in Greenland
- Disko Bay: Disko Bay is one of the top sites to visit whilst on holiday in Greenland. The reason for this is that there is a UNESCO World Heritage Site called Iluissat Icefjord. This Icefjord is a great place to take a scenic boat trip during the right time of the season to have incredible views of the icefjord formations that Greenland has to offer.
- Uunartoq Hot Springs: Due to Greenland’s spectacular natural landscapes, there are many therapeutic spa options to enjoy that are native to their landscapes. One such example is the Uunartoq Hot Springs. There are many hot springs throughout Greenland; however, there is an island called Uunartoq that is uninhabited, which naturally has the temperature for bathing. For a hot spring experience, with panoramic views of breath taking natural landscapes, Uunartoq is one of the premiere hot spring locations to enjoy in the world.
- Northern Lights: Typically, tourists think to venture to Northern Norway or Sweden for the Northern Lights; however, it is absolutely possible to see the Northern Lights in Greenland as well. The best time of year to enjoy this sight in Greenland is between November and March. The optimal places to see the Northern Lights in Greenland are: Qaqortoq, Ittoqqortoormiit, and Kangerlussuaq. What is remarkable about these sights is that many of them are not located in the Northern part of the country, which truly makes Greenland a unique place to visit the Northern Lights.
- Sermermiut Eskimo Settlement: For those travellers that want to see some of Greenland’s unique history, the Sermerimiut Eskimo Settlement is a divine way to experience Greenland’s indigenous Eskimo culture. There is an ancient village here that was excavated in the 20th century from 2,000 years ago. In order to see a very distinct part of global history, it is absolutely worth a visit to this historic locale that is surrounded by a stunning natural landscape.
- Nuuk: Nuuk is the capital city of Greenland. Since Nuuk has been isolated from the rest of the world for so many years, it boasts a very unique downtown architecture that possesses traits of a Nordic fishing village. There are many wonderful shops and cafes for travellers to experience whilst spending time in Nuuk and preparing for their many potential excursions around the country.
Concluding Remarks on the Subject
Greenland offers many unique destinations for travellers from the UK. It will be important for travellers to exchange their GBP to DKK before they decide to visit Greenland. In choosing a proper travel money provider, it will be easy to have the required current knowledge on the exchange rate between pounds and Danish Krone. Taking these precautionary measures will save a great deal of capital on their vacation as a whole. Thus, with the ease of the precautionary measures in terms of exchanging currency between pounds to Danish Krone, it is absolutely possible to take a meaningful and affordable holiday to Greenland.